My Blog List

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Wonderful Wensleydale

Welcome to another installment of Prudence Dapperling's "Mouse in a Million" BIG CHEESE Blog!



"Rule Brittania! Britannia rules the waves!"

Yes, I'm feeling patriotic these days. As such, tonight I begin a series on the virtues of cheese from my beloved island home---England.

And the best cheese to start with is one of my all-time favorites...

Wensleydale

What lovely pup-hood memories I have of sitting around the dinner table with my 10 brothers and sisters, doing battle over the last crumbs of this delightful cheese. Oh, the flying fur, the howls, the bite marks! And were they worth it? You bet!

Made from either cow's or sheep's milk, I believe the best Wensleydale comes from Yorkshire in northern England. This cheese is tangy, yet delicate, with a crumbly texture and pure white color.

Sometimes you find it mixed with cranberries or other fruit. Personally, I like mine unembellished.  I love to eat it all by itself, with only a humble cracker to convey it to the lips.

But Wensleydale is worthwhile no matter how it comes--plain or fancy. So, should you come across it while foraging in the aisles of your favorite grocery store or cheese shop, grab some. You won't regret it.

For more exciting cheese lore, check out the latest offering from that fabulous cheese-loving feline, Spaulding Gray, here.

And now for this important commercial message.

Darklings... If you haven't yet read this funny, suspenseful romp set in 1912 Venice, click on the book below



No comments:

Post a Comment